Hi all! I'm moving to Oslo in a weeks time and I just found this community and I'm very excited and eager to learn and ask questions and help anyone else in any way possible.
So first of all, a bit about me. My name is Jessi and I'm 21, I'm Australian (currently in Sydney) and I'm coming over on a working holiday visa. My boyfriend is dorukai
and he's been over there since November so I miss him plenty. I worked in finance over here but I'm hoping to work in a bar or cafe and I'd really, really like to go back to university next year and would love to do so in Oslo. I love food, cooking, music, reading and I'm a huge film and games geek.
And now, some of the big questions:
1. If I need to see a doctor for something that is not an emergency, what do I do?
2. What about dentists?
3. If I need to buy medication (over the counter, not prescription) where can I go?
4. What is the tax like for someone who is on a working holiday visa?
5. What is the procedure for extending a working holiday visa?
6. What kind of qualifications will I need to work in a bar?
7. What are unemployment levels like over there? Is it difficult to get jobs right now?
8. Generally, how do Norwegian employers feel about employing foreigners?
9. How important is it that I speak Norwegian?
10. If I want to go to university next year, are there particular requirements that are general for most university courses?
11. Is temporary (six months maximum) work common?
12. Will I need a copy of my resume in Norwegian as well as English?
13. Are teachers aide jobs possible for someone who has not been to University?
So that's pretty much it for the time being, any more advice would be greatly appreciated and I'd definitely love to get to know some people here, maybe meet up for a coffee?